Clackamas K-12 Open will occur on Saturday, October 20, 2012
Location: Clackamas High School
14488 SE 122nd Ave
Clackamas, OR 97015 USA
Description: This tournament is open to all K-12 players of all skill levels and it is Clackamas High School Chess Club’s first event. It will have multiple grade based sections which will reward individual performance as well as team performance.
• All K-12 players of all levels are welcome to play.
• This tournament is NWSRS rated. No annual membership fee or prior tournament playing experience required.
• Participation in this tournament counts towards the OSCF State Championship tournament attendance requirements.
• All sections are NWSRS rated. Latest NWSRS ratings will be used for pairings. Participants without ratings will be assigned a rating for pairing purposes of 100 times their grade (i.e. 6th grade x 100 = 600).
• Ties will be broken by SwissSys pairing system (Tie break order- Cumulative, Opponent’s cumulative, Solkoff, Performance of Opposition).
• Bring chess clocks, notation paper & pen/pencil. (Boards and sets provided.)
• Parents/coaches bring additional chess sets, book, etc… to keep everyone busy between rounds.
• 100% Pre-Registered Event. No on-site registrations accepted. Online registration through www.oscf.org
• Entry deadline is 11:59 pm, Tuesday, 10/16/12. Cost is $25. A family discount is offered. The cost for two siblings is $40 and three siblings is $50. Late registration is offered on Thursday 10/18/12. The cost is $40. There is no family discount if you register late. No extensions will be given after that time.
TO REGISTER, send an e-mail to Ed Addis at email@example.com. The Subject line should be titled CHS Chess and include the player(s) name, school, grade, and your phone number in the message. You may also call (503) 658-7809 with the information.
HALF POINT BYE: Playing soccer in the morning or afternoon or simply cannot make it to every round, but you still want to play? Participants can request a Half Point Bye(s) for any round for any reason. All requests must be sent by e-mail to Ed Addis at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday October 18, 2012.
PAYMENT: Please send your check or money order payable to (Please note player name, grade, and school attending):
Clackamas HS – Chess Club
14428 SE 122nd Ave
Clackamas, OR 97015
All entries on or after 10/12/12 must pay on site by cash or check.
Clackamas High School – West Campus
14428 SE 122nd Ave
Clackamas, OR 97015
SECTIONS: All sections will play 5 rounds using the Swiss pairing system. We will avoid pairing team members against each other as much as possible (i.e, after 3 rounds the 3-0 score group has 4 individuals and 3 are from the same school). Tournament organizers reserve the right to add or combine sections depending on the number of registrations.
HIGH SCHOOL SECTION: Students in grades 9th – 12th. Notation required.
MIDDLE SCHOOL SECTION: Students in grades 6th – 8th. Notation highly recommended.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SECTION: Students in grades 3rd – 5th. Notation recommended
PRIMARY SCHOOL SECTION: Students in grades K – 2nd. Notation would be great, but is not expected.
TIME CONTROL: For all sections is Game in 30 minutes with 5 second delay. Games started without clocks may have chess clocks placed on them when 40 minutes has elapsed from the start of the round with 10 minutes remaining for each contestant.
8:15 – 8:45 am —- CHECK IN
9 AM—————— 1st Round
10:15 AM———— 2nd Round
11:30 AM————- 3rd Round
1:30 PM ————– 4th Round
2:45 PM————— 5th Round
INDIVIDUAL AWARDS: For those finishing in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place and all individuals with a Plus Score (3 points or higher) in each section.
TEAM AWARDS: Six Trophies will be awarded to top 2 teams representing a High School, Middle School, and Elementary/Primary School. The number of entries from any one school is not limited, but only the top four individual scores will be used to determine the team’s total.
Contact: Ed Addis
Phone: (503) 658-7809