FM Steven Breckenridge of Gresham, OR, won the the 2017 WA Winter Chess Classic with 7/9 and took home the $500 first place prize! Steven finished half a point ahead of second place finishers FMs Anthony He and Ignacio Perez, each of whom won $325 for their efforts.
Other Prize Winners in the Championship section include:
- Jason Yu – 1st U2300
- Eric Zhang, Chouchan Airapetian, and Wenyang Du =2nd U2300/U2150/U2000
- Naomi Bashkansky + Joseph Levine =1st U2150/U2000
- Minda Chen – 1st U1850
- Advaith Vijayakumar + Jeffrey Yan =2nd U1850
- Top Female – Naomi Bashkansky
- Top Senior – Ignacio Perez
Davey Jones of Seattle won the 19-player Challengers section with 6.5 points and won $300. Half a point behind him were two players who tied for second and third place: Dan Mathews and Stephanie Velea, each of whom took home $200.
Other Challengers Section winners include:
- Melina Li + Anirudh Rajesh = 1st U1600/U1450
- Alex Kaelin + Alison Xiao = 2nd U1600/U1450
- Angela Chen – 1st U1300
- Rowan Foxley – 2nd U1300
- Angela Agaian – 1st U1150
- Top Female – Stephanie Velea
- Top Senior – Frank Fagundes
The WA Winter Classic was directed by Fred Kleist, hosted by Seattle Chess Club, and organized by WCF Tournament Coordinator Dan Mathews.
The US Chess crosstable can be found here.
Photos from the tournament can be viewed on the WCF Facebook Page.